EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION ON COARSE AGGREGATES BY USING WASTE PLASTICS & POLYMERS
K. L. A.V. Harnadh , A. M. N. Kashyap , CH. L. K. M. Gupta , Dr. T. Chandrah sekhar rao
In the present experimental study, an attempt has been made to use the waste plastics in bituminous and cement concrete pavements. The type of plastic used in this study is of waste plastic which contains Water bottles , Tins , Plastic Buckets The waste plastic material is shredded into small pieces and is made to stick to heated aggregate to form a thin layer of plastic over the aggregate particles. Here the plastic was used as a modifier for aggregates (plastic coated aggregates) and bitumen (polymer modified bitumen). Engineering properties for modified and unmodified materials (aggregates, bitumen) were conducted and compared. The plastic is used in various percentages and performance tests were conducted such as water absorption & Specific gravity test , impact test , abrasion test , crushing value test for bituminous concrete mix pavements. A study has been conducted on unmodified aggregates using these plastic coated aggregates, and compressive strength was found out. The test results showed better performance values than unmodified materials for bituminous concrete.
Aggregates, waste plastics, Polymers.
1) A.I. Al-Hadidy, Tan Yi-qiu (2009)“Effect of polyethylene on life of flexible pavements”, Construction and Building Materials, pp 1456–1464
2) A.I. Al-Hadidy, Tan Yi-qiu (2009), “Mechanistic approach for polypropylene-modified flexible pavements”, pp 1133–1140.
3) Bind C.S & K.S.Beena (2010) “Waste plastic as a stabilizing additive in Stone Mastic Asphalt”, International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol.2 (6), pp 379-387.
4) Guidelines for the use of Plastic Waste in Rural Roads Construction, National Rural Roads Development Ministry of Rural Development, GoI.
5) Garcia-Morales M, P. Partal, F.J. Navarro, C. Gallegos (2006), “Effect of waste polymer addition on the rheology of modified bitumen”, Fuel, pp 936–943.
6) Moatasim Attaelmanan, Cheng Pei Feng, Al-Hadidy AI (2011), “Laboratory evaluation of HMA with high density polyethylene as a modifier”, Construction and Building Materials, pp 2764–2770.
7) Naskara.M, T.K. Chakia, K.S. reddy, “Effect of waste plastic as modifier on thermal stability and degradation kinetics of bitumen/waste plastics blend”, Thermochimica Acta, pp 128–134, 2010.
8) Noor Zainab Habib, Ibrahim Kamaruddin, Madzalan Napiah and Isa Mohd Tan (2011), “Rheological Properties of Polyethylene and Polypropylene Modified Bitumen” International Journal of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 3:2 2011.
9) Vasudevan R, “Utilization of waste plastics for flexible pavement”, Indian Highways (Indian Road Congress), vol. 34, no.7, pp 105-111, 2006.
10) Vasudevan R, “Use of plastic waste in construction of tar road”, Environmental information system (Envis), Indian Centre for Plastics in the Environment, Vol.2, pp 1-4, 2004.
[K. L. A.V. Harnadh , A. M. N. Kashyap , CH. L. K. M. Gupta , Dr. T. Chandrah sekhar rao (2015) EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION ON COARSE AGGREGATES BY USING WASTE PLASTICS & POLYMERS IJIRCST Vol-2 Issue-3 Page No-19 - 23] (ISSN 2347 - 5552). www.ijircst.org
K. L. A.V. Harnadh
Assistant Professor , DMS SVH College of Engg , Machilipatnam