Fuzzy Logic Based Load Frequency Control of Hybrid Power System Integrated with SMES
Sameen ul haq ahmad , Satish Saini, Sheikh Safiullah, Zahid Farooq
The use of a Fuzzy logic-based controller for automatic generation control (AGC) and load frequency control (LFC) of two area power plants in an interconnected power system is proposed in this paper. In addition, a superconducting magnetic Energy Storage (SMES) unit is being considered in two areas. After a sudden load disturbance, the implementation of SMES combination arrests the initial fall in frequency deviation and tie-line power deviation. The simulation results show that the proposed SMES unit improves system performance significantly. The system's sensitivity analysis is carried out by altering the parameters and operating load conditions from their nominal values. Even when the system is subjected to wide variations in loading conditions and system parameters, the optimised gains of the proposed fuzzy logic-based controller and fuzzy controller along with SMES controllers do not need to be reset. Finally, different types of load patterns are used to test the effectiveness of the proposed controller design. The simulation results show that the Fuzzy PID controller combined with SMES outperforms the Fuzzy PID controller alone. The simulations were run using the MATLAB software.
Conventional PID controller, fuzzy PID controller, load frequency control, membership function, Inter-connected two-area system, Tie-Line power deviation.
1. Satish Kumar Meena, Saurabh Chanana, Comparative Study of Load Frequency Control Using PID and FGPI Controller, IEEE power India International Conference, pp.1-6 (2014).
2. K. Sabahi M.A. Nekoui M. Teshnehlab M. Aliyari M.Mansouri Load frequency control in interconnected power system using modified dynamic neural networks” proceeding of the 15th Mediterranean conference on control and amp; Automation pp. T26-011 (2007).
3. Hadi Saadat “power System Analysis” in McGraw Hill (2002).
4. Manoj Kumar Debnath, Ranjan Kumar Mallick, Sadhana Das, Aditya Aman “Gravitational Search Algorithm (GSA) Optimized Fuzzy-PID Controller Design for Load Frequency Control of an Interconnected Multi-Area Power System” International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies, pp.1-6 (2016).
5. Hauk Gozde M.Cengiz Taplamacioglu IIhan Kocaarslan, Comparative performance analysis of Artificial Bee Colony algorithm in automatic generation control for interconnected reheat thermal power system, International Journal of Electrical Power and amp; Engergy Systems vol.42 no.1 pp.167- 178 (2012).
6. K. A. Ellithy ,K. A. El-M etwally, Design of Decentralized Fuzzy Logic Load Frequency Controller, I.J. Intelligent Systems and Applications vol. 2 pp.66-75 (2012).
7. Liao K, Xu Y. A robust load frequency control scheme for power systems based on second order sliding mode and extended disturbance observer. IEEE Transactions on industrial informatics. 2017 Nov 9;14(7):3076-3086.
8. L. A. Zadeh, “Is there a need for fuzzy logic?” Inf. Sci., vol. 178, no. 13, pp. 2751–2779, 2008.
9. C. C. Lee, “Fuzzy logic in control systems: Fuzzy logic controller. I,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man Cybern., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 404–418, Mar./Apr.1990.
10. R.Miikkulainen, B. Bryant, R. Cornelius, I. Karpov, K. Stanley, and C. Yong, “Computational intelligence in games,” Computational Intelligence: Principles and Practice. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Comput. Intell. Soc., 2006, pp. 155–191.
11.Tesnjak S, Mikus S, Kuljaca O. Proceedings of the 5th SONT, Simpozij o Novim Tehnologijima, Poree, 1995. pp. 136–139.
12. V. Shanmugasundaram, T.Jayabarathi, A Fuzzy approach of autonomous power generating systems, Procedia engineering vol.38, pp.753-762 (2012).
13. T.C. Yang Z.T. Ding H. Yu "Decentralized power system load frequency control beyond the limit of diagonal dominance" Electrical Power and Energy Systems vol. 24 no. 3 pp. 173-184 (2002).
14. Banerjee, Chatterjee JK, Tripathy SC. Appliction of magnetic energy storage unit as load- frequency stabilizer. IEEE Trans Energy Converse5 (1) pp.46-51 (1990).
[Sameen ul haq ahmad , Satish Saini, Sheikh Safiullah, Zahid Farooq (2022) Fuzzy Logic Based Load Frequency Control of Hybrid Power System Integrated with SMES IJIREM Vol-9 Issue-3 Page No-45-50] (ISSN 2350 - 0557). www.ijirem.org
Sameen ul haq ahmad
M.Tech Scholar, Department of Electrical Engineering, RIMT University, Gobindgarh, 140406, Punjab, India.